Stranded Deep: Cooking Guide | The player
Cooking is essential in life and Stranded Deep. We tell you everything you need to know about where to find and cook the food.
Society has come so far over the past few decades that it is difficult today to function properly without things like coffee in the morning or a few beers at the end of a long week. However, one thing has remained true since the dawn of time; humans cannot live without food and water.
This is a universal truth that the developers of Survival game know all too well, and in the hope of making their games more realistic, they add stats like hunger, health, or thirst to your character, so you will have to work and find a way to replenish them.
This is exactly what happens in Stranded Deep, a game that, at its core, is about surviving as a castaway in the Pacific Ocean. And in order to do that, you will have to learn what you can cook and how to cook it. Here’s everything you need to know about cooking at Stranded Deep.
What can you cook
There are a lot of animals you can catch, kill, and cook in Stranded Deep. Depends on the size of the creature, it will give you a small, medium or large piece of meat.
This is the most common type of meat in the game. It will not take a long time to be cooked and smoked. You will get small meat from:
- The archer fish: A type of fish that you will find in the shallow waters near the islands. You can catch it using a fishing spear, fish trap, or fishing rod. Although it is better to use the fishing lance with this one.
- Discus fish: Much like the Archer fish, Discus fish are found in shallow waters near islands. Using a fishing spear will be more than enough to do the job.
- Sardines: Since sardines are the most readily available food source, you will likely eat a lot of them at the start of the game. This species can be found in shallow water, and it is better to use a fishing spear with them.
- Seagulls: If you look up at the sky, chances are you will see a seagull flying. Since they can fly, the best way to catch one is to place one bird trap on the ground and wait for an unsuspecting seagull to land on it.
- Crabs: You will find these little guys walking around the island or in very shallow water. Just like in real life, crabs are really easy to kill, you just have to choose any weapon and go to dinner!
- Bats: You will see these flying during the night. Since bird snares will not work on them, the best thing to do is to use any ranged weapon or throw spears at them when hanging from palm trees.
Once you get familiar with catching and cooking small meats, test your skills by switching to bigger animals to get medium meat. This type of meat requires 2/10 of a full campfire, while smoking requires 4/10 of a full smoker. You will get medium meat from:
- Boars : These creatures can be found on any fairly large island. When killed they will give you two raw hides as well as two medium meats. Any weapon will work to deal with it. Remember, boars are slightly faster than you, so hit them first stealthily is a good idea.
- Giant crabs: Warning; these guys are nothing like their little cousins. Giant crabs will deal much more damage to you, but they never go in the water, which you can use to your advantage if ever you are in danger trying to catch them. You can use melee weapons to kill them and receive 2 medium meats.
- Cods: This type of fish can be found in the deep sea or near the edges of any island. They will give you medium meat and it is best to use a fishing spear to fish them.
- Giant grouper fish: You will be able to see these fat guys swimming in shallow water; they are easy to spot because of their appearance and size. Any weapon is good to use when trying to catch the giant grouper fish. Just keep in mind that since they are so big you won’t be able to store them in your inventory once killed and will have to be dragged.
This is the best type of meat you can pick up since it will give you the most food bars in the game. However, larger meats will also take longer to cook and smoke. Cooking and smoking this type of meat will also require more fuel. You can get big meat from:
- The Sharks: The first thing you need to know is that there are two categories of sharks in Stranded Deep, aggressive and non-hostile. Both can be killed for food, but the strategy you use will vary depending on the shark behavior.
- Pigs: These are like the stronger and aggressive version of the boars, they will be more difficult, but the rewards will be worth it. Since it is possible to outrun these creatures, using ranged weapons is the way forward.
What you will need to cook
Cooking is not very complicated in this survival game, but you will first have to craft and collect some materials before you can eat the delicious wildlife that you will find on the islands.
To cook something, you will need to have a campfire, a structure that can be crafted from four sticks. Once this item is crafted, you can fill the fire using wooden sticks, palm leaves or fibrous leaves.
- Keep in mind that some articles will be better than others for this purpose. For example, you only need four wooden sticks to completely fill the fire, while you will need 12 fibrous sheets to get the same.
And while campfires certainly do the job, the best thing you can do after making one is to immediately upgrade it with a Fireplace. This upgrade will not only allow you to cook food for longer, but it will also unlock three other upgrades such as:
- Fire spitting: This upgrade allows you to have to cook two things at the same time.
- The smoker : With this upgrade, you will have up to six cooking slots. Not only that, but it can also smoke food if you leave it on the top longer. Once smoked, food will not spoil. Remember that food must first be cooked before it can be smoked.
- The Hobo stove: With this upgrade you will get an almost endless number of cooking slots as it can cook as much food as you can put on its grill.
How to cook something
The first thing you will need to do is prepare the animal you want to cook by skin them. To do this, you will need to craft and equip the Refined Knife. Basically, this process turns the animal’s corpse into a piece of meat that you can then cook.
Once you have your cut of meat, all you need is drag him to the fire to start the cooking process.
- When fishing, keep an eye out for sharks, unless you want to switch from predator to prey. A good thing to do is to use shark repellant to keep them away, especially if you are trying to catch fish in open water.
- Keep an eye on the color of your meat; raw, cooked, smoked and rotten meats all have different colors which will give you a clue as to the condition of said meat.
- Shark meat will only spoil after peeling the animal’s carcass, so you can keep it as a long-lasting food source.
NEXT: Stranded Deep: How To Get Water
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: A Guide to All Animus Anomalies (and Where They Are)
About the Author