Houston woman and child died of carbon monoxide poisoning after using car to keep warm, police say
A woman and child died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning after using their car to warm up amid the scorching cold in Houston, Texas, where more than a million people were without power for the night.
Houston Police Department mentionned Officers were conducting a welfare check in west Houston after midnight when they found two adults and two children affected with carbon monoxide poisoning.
Police believe the family was driving their car into their garage to keep warm when the exhaust fumes seeped inside the adjoining house.
When the police arrived, they found the woman dead inside the car and an 8-year-old girl dead inside the house.
The man and the 7-year-old boy were found unconscious inside the house and taken to hospital in critical condition, police said.
This is the second carbon monoxide poisoning incident reported in Houston since the widespread power outages began on Monday morning. A family of six, including four children, was hospitalized Monday afternoon after would have using a charcoal barbecue to heat their apartment. One of the children and one of the adults are in critical condition. More than a million people in the Houston area were without power on Monday night, the city’s coldest night since 1989.
Authorities warn of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. “You know it’s a very difficult time, a lot of people are without electricity. I know it’s cold, but you have to be careful when using generators or cars inside garages… Carbon monoxide is odorless and can kill people, ”said Houston Police Lt. Larry Crowson. Told local press point Click on Houston.
“” We did not prepare for this “: 1.4M in Houston went without electricity on the coldest day since 1989” (The Chronicle of Houston)